Build your first Chat app - Part 5: Installing the app in Zendesk Chat
If you followed along in the series, you should now have a working Chat app that you built from scratch. In this tutorial, you'll install the app in your instance of Zendesk Chat. The tutorial will also show you how to validate the app and then package it for uploading.
You can only upload and install private apps in Zendesk Chat on the Zendesk Suite Professional plan or above. The Chat account must also be linked to a Zendesk Support account.
This tutorial is part of a series on building a Zendesk app:
- Part 1 - Laying the groundwork
- Part 2 - Designing the user interface
- Part 3 - Creating and inserting templates
- Part 4 - Getting data
- Part 5 - Installing the app in Zendesk Chat - YOU ARE HERE
After thoroughly testing your app with the ZAT server, you can validate that the app is ready for uploading.
To validate your app
In your command line interface, navigate to your learn_more folder.
Run the following command:
$ zat validate
Note: If the command prompt isn't displayed, make sure you shut down the ZAT server by pressing Control+C.
Fix any problems reported by the tool, then run validate again.
The next step is to package the app in a zip file that you can upload to your instance of Zendesk Chat.
Package your app
Run the following command in your learn_more folder:
$ zat package
The ZAT tool packages the app in a zip file and saves it in a tmp folder in your app root folder.
At last you're ready to upload and install the app in your instance of Zendesk Chat. You must be on the Zendesk Suite Professional plan or above, and your Chat account must be linked to a Zendesk Support account.
Upload and install the app
Sign in to your Support account, click on the Product Tray, and launch Chat.
In the Chat dashboard, go to Settings > Account > Apps.
Click Upload Private App in the right side of the page.
Enter the name of your app (Learn More).
Click Choose File and select the zip file of your app.
The ZAT tool placed the zip file in the tmp folder in your learn_more folder.
Click Upload to upload the app to Zendesk Chat, then again after agreeing to the risks and limitations.
When prompted, click Install.
When the process is complete, your app should appear as a private app in your list of installed apps on the page. It should also appear in the chat interface, ready for agents to use.
The best way to learn is to plan, design, and build your own apps. You can use any of the following resources along the way:
- Getting started - A quick overview of the Apps framework
- Setting up new apps - How to create starter files for your apps with the Zendesk App Tools (ZAT) or manually
- Using the Apps framework - A concise developer guide
- Deploying apps - Information on branding, uploading, and localizing your apps
- ZAF Core API - A reference of core events, actions, and properties available in all locations in all products that support the Zendesk Apps framework
- ZAF Chat API - A reference of the app locations, properties, and actions you can use in apps running in Zendesk Chat
You can also look for answers or ask questions in the Zendesk apps developer community.